Terms of Reference | Functions | Minutes of Meetings
- Enquiries should initially be directed to the committee secretary Dr Charlotte Sweeney.
- The Department of Materials uses maillists to contact all members of the committee. The maillist for this committee is email@example.com. For a full description of the maillist and how to use it please read the further information about maillists
Departmental Committee : Terms of Reference
- Ex Officio Members
1. The Head of Department
2. The Deputy Head of Department (if such a post is filled)
3. The Head of Administration and Finance
4. The Director of Studies
1. One Statutory Professor by rotation
2. Four members to be elected by the sub-faculty of Materials from members of the Department of Materials (a) at least three of whom should be members of the subfaculty, and (b) at least one of whom should be from the academic related staff at grade RSII or above, or at grade ALC3 and above , who work in the Department and have more than three years' service in the employment of the University of Oxford in RS and ALC grades.
- Co-opted Members
The committee shall have power to co-opt, for a period of one year or shorter as determined by the committee, not more than two additional members from amongst the members of the sub-faculty of Materials or such other member of staff as is appropriate to reflect a particular need.
- Others in Attendance: Any other individual may be invited to attend for a single meeting or series of meetings at the discretion of the committee.
- Except for ex officio members, the period of service shall be two years. Members may be re-elected or re-co-opted but the total period of continuous service shall not normally exceed four years. In order to provide continuity, periods of office shall, wherever possible, be arranged so that no more than five members of the committee change in any one year.
- Election of members for forthcoming vacancies shall normally take place in Trinity term. Members will normally serve from 1 October in that year. All members of the sub-faculty who are members of the Department may propose members. In the case where nominations exceed vacancies a postal ballot of the sub-faculty members who are members of the Department will take place with a view to having the committee membership determined for the budget meeting in the long vacation.
- Non-members in attendance may not vote.
- The Head of Department, or in his or her absence a person nominated by him or her (normally the Deputy Head of Department if there is one), shall be the chairman of the committee. Failing this, a member of the committee elected by it for the occasion shall serve as chairman.
- The Head of Administration and Finance shall serve as the secretary of the committee.
- Five members of the committee shall be necessary to constitute a quorum.
- The committee shall meet at least twice during each full term, normally at a regular time and week of term as shall be determined by the Head of Department, and at such other times as the committee may decide.
- Minutes (with sensitive areas marked ** and removed) shall be circulated to all eligible to attend the staff meeting (qv).
Functions of the Committee
The functions of a departmental committee shall be to advise the head of the department on all matters affecting the department, with particular reference to:
- annual estimates
- allocation of resources and accommodation
- junior academic appointments
Minutes of Meetings