The department is very welcoming of Black and Minority Ethnic (BAME) staff and students of all cultures and backgrounds. We have a very diverse and international staff body, with researchers coming to join us from across the world. Following the vote to leave the EU we continue to encourage European workers to join the department, and we continue to create a positive and welcoming workplace for all.
Commitment to anti-racism
The department acknowledges that there is structural, systemic and everyday racism which exists at all levels in society and that higher education is no exception. The university is applying for an award under the Race Equality Charter, which strives to:
- Engage all departments and faculties with race equality in order to create an inclusive culture;
- Improve the overall experience of BME students;
- Promote and celebrate a full range of diversity in scholarship, learning and teaching;
- Eliminate the undergraduate ethnicity attainment gap;
- Continue to increase the proportion of BME students at all levels;
- Increase the ethnic diversity of the academic, research and professional and support staff;
- Achieve stronger representation of BME staff in decision-making at all levels of the University;
- Ensure consistency of HR practices across all departments and faculties.
The Equality and Diversity Committee is committed to listening to BAME individuals and confronting racism wherever it occurs.
Online Resources and suggested reading
The Bodleian Libraries contain a vast collection of online texts which are free for you to access with your University/Bodleian card: