All members of department are recommended to ask IT staff for advice on purchasing IT hardware and read our online purchasing advice. All department IT purchase orders submitted to
the finance office are routinely checked by the Senior IT officer before despatch.
When a new computer arrives, the following list provides a checklist for getting it operational.
1. All electrical equipment must be tested for electrical safety before being plugged into the building mains supply. Contact Ashley Brown to arrange to have the equipment tested.
2. All users of computer equipment within the university must read and obey the rules.
3. All software on computers within the department must have a current software license. Contact Department IT staff if
you are unsure. Note, it is usual for Department IT staff to wipe-and-reinstall all new computers immediately after arrival.
4. All changes to network connections are the responsibility of the Department IT staff to whom you
should submit your requests.
5. Computers attached to the Department network should always be running up to date anti-virus protection software. Department IT staff typically install Sophos Anti-Virus when your new computer is registered for use on the department network.
6. Computers used to store documents and data should be running automatic backup software.
7. Computers attached to the departmental network should run the minimum number of services necessary and should all be configured securely to prevent hacking.
8. A wide variety of training courses are available from OUCS.
9. The department does not have the resources to provide hardware support. A very competititvely priced PC maintenance scheme is operated by OUCS to cover hardware faults.
10. The department’s insurance policy currently has a £1000 excess on computer theft claims therefore computers are effectively uninsured against theft. Please be security conscious, especially if your computer is portable. If you encounter someone suspicious
contact the university security services on 89999. Thefts must be reported to the Facilities Manager and to IT staff (if IT equipment).