Department of Materials IT staff operate a department firewall which controls all traffic inbound and outbound from the department subnet. The purpose of the firewall is to
1) prevent exploitation of insecure services (hacking)
2) restrict inbound/outbound traffic from unregistered devices
3) control inbound/outbound access to/from specific services or devices
4) monitor traffic volumes and types
In all the above, care is taken to ensure that legitimate services are not disrupted. All queries should be directed to Department IT staff.
- External incoming should be blocked on all ports except host-specific exceptions for SSH, HTTP and some other services.
- Oxford incoming should be open on all ports except blocks on specific ports such as FILESHARING, PRINT, TELNET, LDAP, SQL
- Department Outgoing - only allow registered devices outbound.
Firewall exceptions are strongly discouraged however requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by Department IT staff.