Since Department IT staff have to support all the computers within the department, it is beneficial to try to standardize to certain models of computers if possible. Dell is our recommended supplier but there are several other preferred suppliers for computers listed on the University Purchasing website.
Department IT staff carry a stock of "Standard" PC's for general usage. We buy in batches when the offers are good. These are medium specification (powerful but basic) desktop computers. These computers are considered adequate for the majority of desktop users. Currently our stock PC is as follows:
- Dell Optiplex 7050
- i5-6500/7500 processor (or higher performance i7-6700/7700)
- 8Gb RAM
- 256Gb PCIe SSD (or 1Tb HDD if required)
- 1Gbit ethernet
- Onboard intel graphics
- 24" TFT height adjustable 1920x1080
- software : Windows7/10 plus Office2016, Sophos, Windowsupdate, Altiris management, PDF Pro, Putty, WinSCP, Corel suite, Origin, Matlab, Mathematica, Endnote, Acrobat Reader
- 4yr next day business warranty
- Cost: varies depending on recent Dell promotions. Example cost £660 including VAT.
Department IT staff do NOT carry stock of laptops since user preferences vary considerably, however we recommend Dell and for other suppliers we recommend making use of the National Desktop and Notebook Agreement (NDNA) pricing. We also recommend at least 3year NDB support so that if problems arise they are repaired quickly. Currently recommendation:
- Dell Latitude E7480
- various processor options (e.g. i5-6300U/7300U i7-6600U/7600U)
- 14" various resolution (1366x768 or 1920x1080)
- onboard intel graphics
- 8Gb RAM
- 256Gb Solid State disk
- software : Windows7/10 plus Office2016, Sophos, Windowsupdate, Altiris management, PDF Pro, Putty, WinSCp, Corel suite, Origin, Matlab, Mathematica
- 4years Next Day Business support (worth paying for laptop support)
- Cost: varies depending on recent Dell promotions. Example cost £900 including VAT.
Note that we are unable to purchase direct from Apple due to unacceptable commercial terms and conditions, therefore the university PRAC has negotiated pricing with XMA who are recommended as sole suppliers of all Apple devices. To access pricing information users can either register on the XMA portal or email email@example.com.
Usability Guidelines: if you laptop is to be your primary computer then in order to avoid health issues associated with prolonged usage all laptops users are recommended to also purchase keyboard&mouse, height adjustable large monitor and a laptop stand.
Home Computer Discounts
There is not much available in the way of discounts for personal purchases. Dell have now stopped providing university pricing for personal purchases.
All staff and students are entitled to university discount prices (maybe cost price plus 5%) from http://uk.insight.com (login details available from IT staff on request) if paying by credit card online or via account manager John.Southwood@insight.com Tel +44(0)20 8061 5187 Fax +44(0)114 219 5187
Recommended procedure for ordering computers
Step 1. Talk to department IT staff about what your requirements are and find out what the current status is for "standard" stock PC's and to get quotes for your requirements.
Step 2. If a standard stock PC or a standard laptop is not suitable, then you need to configure your own, preferably from Dell (via the university iProcurement website if you have access https://www1.admin.ox.ac.uk/finance/support/) and preferably with guidance from Department IT staff.
Step 3. If you do not have access to the university R12 iProcurement system then fill in a standard requisition form and get it authorized by the costcentre holder and send it to the finance office (in Hume-Rothery Building Reception) with attached printouts of the full quote for the computer. All computer requisitions are passed from the finance office to the Senior IT officer for authorization so it is best to talk to Department IT staff first!
Please send any comments or corrections to the webmaster.