The Department of Materials operates a fleet of around 70 networked printers - a mixture of personal printers, research group shared printers plus some larger departmental printers. In addition there are colour photocopiers available in each building which are also listed as network printers and are typically cheaper to operate than traditional laserprinters.
Which printers can I use?
The colour photocopiers in each building can be used as printers by all members of department but only via iPrint. Print jobs are released when you authenticate with your university card.
There is also a central DigitalPrintroom located in ETB room 10.14 with two printers and two scanners available for all users. The printroom is open 9-5pm plus after-hours swipecard access available upon request to IT staff.
Research group printers are typically for group members only since each research group pays for the consumables.
Some printers are restricted to certain users so you might not be able to install a printer via iPrint. Contact IT support if you think you should have access to a printer which is not allowing you access.
How much does it cost?
The basic charging model is: A4 £0.05/page; A3 £0.10/page; Duplex 25% discount;
Undergraduates and visitors have annual print quotas of £20/year and £10/year respectively. Contact IT staff if your print jobs are being automatically cancelled due to lack of quota.
Members of staff and postgraduate students are currently unlimted however please be aware that usage is recorded and reviewed termly and cost-recovery from research grants may be implemented in future. Private printing or photocopying is expected to be paid for via Reception.
Overall printer and photocopier usage should be kept to a minimum - see Green IT guidance below.
Printer installation instructions
All printers should be installed via the iPrint system which provides a mechanism for installation of relevant driver to each computer and allows authenticated printing, including printing from outside the department. (direct printing is blocked at the department firewall as being insecure)
Detailed printer installation instructions
Quick printer installation instructions
If you are in a hurry, then the brief instructions are :
- RunAs Adminstrator a web-browser like InternetExplorer or Firefox (does not work using Chrome or Safari)
- Visit http://print.materials.ox.ac.uk/ipp(only accessible from within the Department)
- Scroll down to find the desired printer. (printers are named so that they are listed by building)
- Click on the printer name to automatically install the printer.
- First time you click on the printer you will be prompted to download and install the iPrint client after which you will need to restart your web-browser before trying to install the printer again.
- Printing requires authentication using your departmental account credentials, also many printers are restricted to certain users so you may not have permission to install a printer.
- Report queries or problems to itsupport@materials
Green IT Guidelines
The department is keen to reduce the amount printing in order to save money and reduce waste.
Thousands of pounds are spent on toners each year - please try to do you bit to reduce usage.
- do you really need to print to paper?
save paper by reading electronic copy
- always print double-sided
set printers to default to duplex and save paper
- avoid using colour where possible
colour costs several times more black&white
- send jobs to photocopiers rather than printers
photocopiers use lower cost toners