Overtime is only applicable to support staff only (grades 1-5). Academic-related staff are not eligible for overtime; however, members of the academic-related staff who are requested to work on Bank Holidays or fixed days of closure will be compensated by equivalent time-off in lieu.
Full details about of overtime can be found in section 3.7.2 of the Handbook for Support Staff
Overtime is defined as time which, with the approval of the line manager, is worked in excess of the hours specified in the contract of employment.
- All staff employed in grades 1-5 are eligible for overtime.
- Overtime can be taken either as time off in lieu (TOIL) or as paid hours. TOIL will be at single time, i.e. one hour off for every additional hour worked.
- Any additional qualifying hours worked up to 36.5 hours per week will be paid at plain time.
- Where compensation for overtime is to be paid, additional qualifying hours worked over 36.5 per week will be paid in accordance with the following schedule:
- the first 7.25 hours of overtime working (in excess of 36.5 hours): time and a half
- any subsequent hours of overtime working (i.e. on completion of 43.75 hours): double time
- Overtime on public holidays (where an individual is not contractually obliged to work on public holidays) will be paid at double time.
Work undertaken on an overtime basis should be relative to the substantive post. Work of a different grade, nature, or for a different department should be undertaken on a separate casual contract.
Please ensure you submit any authorised claims to the HR Team before the 6th of the month to ensure it can be paid in the same month.