Reward and Recognition Scheme for Academic-Related and Support Staff – Department of Materials
The Reward and Recognition Scheme for academic-related and support staff has two elements:
- An Awards for Excellence Scheme to recognise staff contributions to the work of the University and to reward exceptional individual contributions. All eligible staff are reviewed annually in the gathered field exercise by a panel at departmental level.
- A Recognition Scheme, under which smaller, timely awards can be made at departmental level to recognise one-off, outstanding contributions at any time of the year.
The Reward and Recognition exercise for the performance year 2019 has now been concluded and relevant payments have been made in April 2020 payroll.
Changes to the Recognition Scheme Schedule for 2020
In light of the uncertain financial position due to COVID-19, Personnel Committee considered possible pay mitigations for the next financial year, and its recommendations were approved by Council on 22 June. These mitigations include putting all discretionary pay awards for all staff groups on hold until further notice. This includes the Reward and Recognition Scheme awards.
The purpose of the Recognition Scheme is to reward one-off contributions or examples of high performance by individuals or teams throughout the year. To facilitate timely recognition, the Department of Materials has decided to introduce a new schedule with recognition awards administered on a quarterly basis. The recognition award will be £200 (before taxes) in all cases.
How will the new schedule work?
Nominations for the Recognition Scheme should be made by managers and consist of a brief case to the Head of Department, whose decision is final. A sample nomination form can be found below.
Completed recognition nominations will need to be submitted to the HR Department (firstname.lastname@example.org) and will be reviewed by the Head of Department, in accordance with the schedule below.
||Deadline for Submission to HR
|January – March 2020
||12th May 2020
|April – June 2020
||13th July 2020
|July – September 2020
||26th October 2020
|October – December 2020
||11th January 2021
There are many reasons to nominate a member of staff. Have you seen anyone:
- Deliver an important departmental initiative?
- Develop an idea that leads to a saving or service improvement?
- Deliver an important project ahead of time or with a budget saving?
- Show an outstanding commitment to the Department?
- Create improved efficiency or savings?
- Assist others during staff absence or periods of peak work?
If you have any questions in relation to the new Recognition Scheme schedule, please do not hesitate to contact Carol Baggiolini, HR Manager.