The following Department of Materials services provided by the photographic unit until December 2007 are now provided by Department of Materials IT staff.
The following equipment is can be borrowed daily from IT support upon request subject to availability.
- Laptop and webcam (from IT support)
- Portable dataprojector (from IT support)
- Polycom conference phone (from Reception)
- Poster display boards for meetings or conferences (from IT support) (see section below)
Students and research fellows can ask IT staff for advice about how to prepare posters but are expected to actually create the posters themselves.
In order to avoid paying VAT you should submit the UAS reprographics poster form to the department finance office who can submit the request via FM Online for UAS reprographics. (This form is also available on the Documents page under Research Forms and Finance Forms)
All department publicity materials are coordinated by IT staff, and much of it is actually produced in-house. Advice, resource collation and project management support are available. Typical projects undertaken are:
- business cards (see section below)
- stationary (see internal documents)
- publicity flyers
- invitation cards
- magazine adverts
- laminating (A4/A3)
- ringbinding (A4)
The following printed department brochures and publications exist with electronic copies on this website:
- Undergraduate Prospectus
- 2016/17 MS/MEM Course Prelims Handbook (1358 kb)
- 2014/15 MS/MEM Course Finals Handbook (1679kb)
- 2016/17 MS & MEM Prelims Lecture Course Synopses (548 kb)
- 2016/17 MS & MEM Finals Core Lecture Course Synopses (522 kb)
- 2016/17 MS & MEM Finals Option Lecture Course Synopses (541 kb)
- 2016/17 Part II Course Handbook (937 kb)
- 2016/17 Postgraduate Course Handbook (2 Mb)
- 2016/17 Postgraduate Lecture and Training Course Synopses (1Mb)
- 2015/16 Department Handbook (2.0Mb)
IT staff can provide support for members of Department of Materials involved with planning and hosting of conferences or workshops or meetings. Please talk to IT staff about your requirements at an early stage in the process.
The Department of Materials has a variety of free-standing poster display boards suitable for small meetings and also for larger conferences (when combined with Engineering Science and sometimes Physics).
Colours: 17 blue boards, 19 green boards, 6 brown boards
Size: Landscape format H:90cm W:116cm (A0 posters are 83cm x 115cm)
Fixings: Velcro spots (hooks) are supplied with the boards.
Setup: maintenance staff can help transport and setup/dismantle boards
For most poster displays you need two boards on-top-of-each-other per poster to get the right height for reading the posters! For maximising the number of posters we recommend using both sides of the boards arranging them zig-zig in the middle of a room, rather than around the side walls of a room. Therefore the number of boards required depends how many posters you have to display and the actual room layout. Materials has 46 boards (19 green,17 blue,6 brown,1 red!). Engineering has 29 boards & 29 empty-frames.
In order to request poster boards please contact IT staff providing information about:1) setup date/time and return date/time; 2) number of boards required (estimate plus a few?); 3) purpose e.g. title of meeting; 4) location of display (building/room) 5) your contact details.
The Department of Materials currently buys business cards online from Vistaprint .
If you want some Department of Materials branded business cards (as shown above) please email itsupport@materials with your requirements
1) Please specify the text required. See above example. We will email you back a draft to check for errors before purchasing.
2) Please specify the quantity required. 100cards@£9.99; 250cards@£19.99 (note that usually 50% discount is available)
3) Please specify date required. Delivery costs - 14days@£2.99; 7days@£5.99; UPS 4days@£11.99
4) Please email the cost code which these cards should be charged against (or bring cash if personal purchase).
If you are considering your business card requirements then you should also consider using pre-printed Departmental Headed Notepaper and Stationery available from reception or printing your own headed notepaper using the Department of Materials Headed Notepaper Templates.
For completeness, also note that the university reprographics office are also able to provide University of Oxford Business Cards 100cards@£30.00+VAT