Forms and Documents
This page attempts to summarise in one place all the forms and (word) documents on the website. Email the webmaster if you have suggestions.
All department procedures are contained within the single document entitled Department Handbook. This document is given to each new member of department when they arrive. See the adminstrator's secretary for up-to-date printed copies. The document is up-dated annually each September ready for the new intake of students.
- Most information on Research activities is in the open-access section on Research
- Most information on Teaching activities is in the open-access section on Teaching
Lecture feedback forms
Part II student Project Management Forms
- Part II - Supervisors Form (docx~147kb) This form must be completed by the supervisor prior to the start of the project.
- Part II - Project Description Form (docx~40kb) This must reach the Project Organiser by Friday of 0th week of Michaelmas Term.
- Part II - First Project Analysis Form (docx~36kb) This must reach the Project Organiser by Friday of 6th week of Michelmas Term.
- Part II - Second Project Analysis Form (docx~28kb) This must reach the Project Organiser by Friday of 6th week of Hilary Term.
Graduate Project Management Forms
See Project Management webpage for details.
- Graduate Project Management Form 1 - Project Description Form
- Graduate Project Management Form 2 - First Year Report Form
- Graduate Project Management Form 3 - Project Analysis Form
- Graduate Project Management Form 4 - Project Analysis Form
Other research and teaching forms:
- Option Course Claim Form ~29kb
- XRD equipment access form (also see xrd bookings)
- EM access form (also see EM access instructions)
- OMCS access form
- UAS reprographics poster form
Members of departmental established academic staff are eligible to sponsor visitors, although other individual senior researchers or academic-related staff may be given permission to host a visitor at the Head of Department’s discretion.
Staff wishing to host a visitor need to read all the documentation below and return the completed application form V7 (and V8 if necessary).
All queries about academic visitors should be directed to Kay Davies Tel:01865 273682 or via email to kay.davies AT materials.ox.ac.uk
- V-1: Bullet-point Summary of Invitation Procedure ~48kb
- V-2: Policy and Procedure ~12kb
- V-3: Bench Fees ~12kb
- V-4: Funding ~12kb
- V-5: Workshops Visa Requirements ~12kb
- V-6: Workshops Letter of Invitation for Visa ~48kb
- V-7: Application to host an Academic Visitor ~48kb
- V-8: Application for Certificate of Sponsorship ~106kb
- Travel insurance forms - see central admin
- Graduate Conference Travel Form ~32kb
- Access to ETB and HB ~32kb
- Maintenance Request Form ~28kb
- Stores Requisition Form or Stores Requisition Form
- Workshop Job Request Form ~29kb
- Catering Request Form (Baxter Storey) ~32kb
- Driver Authorisation Form ~32kb
- Overtime Form ~32kb
- Sickness Absence Guidance ~32kb
- Sickness Self-Certification Form ~32kb
- School pupil one day 'shadowing' visit guidelines ~50kb
- School pupil work experience or short research project guidelines ~50kb
- Student work experience - application forms ~50kb
The Annual Reward and Recognition Scheme for academic-related and support staff was introduced in 2013 and has two elements: Awards for Excellence and the Recognition Scheme. The schemes are designed to enable us to offer financial recognition to those staff who are making an outstanding and truly exceptional contribution to the University. For details, please see the guidance notes and nomination forms below.
The period under review is the calendar year 2016, and payments will be made with effect from 1 April 2017. All forms should be sent to the HR Manager email@example.com by Tuesday 28 February 2017 for processing.
- Materials Guidance Notes
- Awards for Excellence - Manager Nomination Form
- Awards for Excellence - Self Nomination Form
- Recognition Payment Nomination Form
- Purchasing advice and supplier suggestions
- Requisitions, Orders and Equipment Purchasing Information ~118kb
- Requisitions Form ~58kb , Requisitions Form ~29kb
- R12 access form ~58kb and Electronic Ordering Guidance ~58kb
- Expenses Claim Instructions - also see admin website
- Entertainment Claim Form ~25kb
- Casual Payment Claim Form (August 2016) ~256kb
- Department Research Grant OG form to be filled in prior to grant applications ~25kb
- Pre-purchase equipment and instrumentation check-list Form to be filled in prior to grant applications
- Asset Disposal Form ~25kb
- UAS reprographics poster form
The starting point for safety within the Department of Materials is the overview Departmental Information .
All members of Department are expected to read the Department Safety Policy
All researchers are expected to read the Laboratories Safety Manual
All members of Department should also look at the University Safety Office website.
- Safety and Security Committee (SASC)
- Department Safety Information ~12kb
- Department Safety Policy ~500kb
- Laboratories Safety Manual ~750kb
- COSHH regulations ~68kb
- Waste disposal instructions for main site (Appendix B) ~100kb
- Waste disposal instructions for Begbroke site (Appendix C) ~100kb
- Hazard and Precaution statements, GHS safety pictograms ~68kb
- Apparatus risk assessment form ~40kb
- Area risk assessment form ~40kb
- COSHH assessment form ~28kb
- Personal risk assessment - guidance notes ~300kb
- Personal risk assessment form - office ~28kb
- Personal risk assessment form - lab ~28kb
- Travel risk assessment form ~40kb
- Unattended equipment form ~36kb
- Waste disposal form ~16kb
The University of Oxford has a strong brand and is actively promoting the careful and correct usage of the Quadrangle and Rectangle brand marks and the belted crest. Please see the Oxford University Branding Toolkit for many pages of guidelines and instructions.
In addition the Department of Materials has it's own "OxfordMaterials" brand which should be used in conjunction with the University Brand on all departmental publications.
The above image of the Oxford Materials logo is a JPEG image suitable for inserting into Microsoft Office documents and presentations and printing on desktop colour laser printers. (Rightclick image and select SaveAs). For larger publications such as posters a TIFF image is available Oxford Materials logo (TIFF). Note that in 2012 the website redesign project modified the colours of the Oxford Materials logo so all members of department are requested to discard old versions of the logo.
In 2008 the Department redesigned it's headed notepaper to incorporate the new Oxford University brand rather than to use the University recommended stationery. It was decided that the rectangular brand mark (rather than the quadrangle) was a better balance with the OxfordMaterials logo. It was decided that the recommended Foundry font was not compatible with the font of the OxfordMaterials logo therefore the notepaper footer text is Verdana font. It was decided not to pre-print personalized notepaper for senior staff. Generic pre-printed header notepaper is available to all members of department from Reception. Several slightly different Microsoft Word document templates are provided below which recreate the pre-printed headed notepaper.
- OxfordMaterials Headed - without Addressee block
- OxfordMaterials Headed - with Addressee block
- Blank Letterhead - without Addressee block
- Blank Letterhead - with Addressee block
Also see the Deparment of Materials Business card printing service.